Friday, July 10, 2009

ZOMG, Why Did I Get Tricky?!

Villain is 32/13/3.3 over a good sample. I'm playing pretty aggro and have picked on this guy a little, but no real history. I raise small on the flop hoping for a spazz-out from his A's or overpairs. When the Q hits I decide most of his range is mid pp's and whiffed high cards, of which I don't think I'm getting more than one street of value from, so I check behind. River is a clear value-bet, then.............

Comments on all streets welcome.

Free hand converter brought to you by CardRunners

Seat 1: Villain 1 ($220.75)
Seat 2: Villain 2 ($100) Sitting Out
Seat 3: Villain 3 ($100)
Seat 4: Villain 4 ($191)
Seat 5: Villain 5 ($116.90) -
Seat 6: Villain 6 ($359.45) -
Seat 7: Villain 7 ($222) -
Seat 8: Villain 8 ($168.75)
Seat 9: Hero ($211.35)


PRE-FLOP:

Villain 6 posts small blind $0.50
Villain 7 posts BIG blind $1
Dealt To: Hero


RAISE Villain 8 ($3.50)
CALL Hero ($3.50)
FOLD Villain 1
FOLD Villain 3
FOLD Villain 4
CALL Villain 5 ($3.50)
FOLD Villain 6
FOLD Villain 7


FLOP:

Pot: $12


BET Villain 8 ($10)
RAISE Hero ($23)
FOLD Villain 5
CALL Villain 8 ($13)


TURN:

Pot: $58


CHECK Villain 8
CHECK Hero


RIVER:

Pot: $58


CHECK Villain 8
BET Hero ($49)
RAISE Villain 8 ($142.25)
HERO?? WAT?!!

3 comments:

  1. I'd say this is a pretty clear fold. Unless you've seen him make a crazy river check raise bluff, I would not give him credit for knowing that you almost never have a set, or a deuce and that you're good enough to fold KK or AA here. He may be doing this with worse some of the time, but I think calling here will be a huge mistake overall.

    I think that you should just flat him here on this board. You have a player behind and when you raise like this most players are going to be putting you on a set. Calling down expands his range more and you can comfortable call all three streets without being put in a situation where you're calling off 160bb with one pair. Though I don't think this matters much but flatting and calling him down protects our flatting range in this spot and will make him think twice about triple barreling us as a bluff in the future given that we can show up with KK or top set here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was your reason for flatting in ep. Were there players left to act behind you that were squeeze happy? When you are utg+1 and 2 do you take this line always if utg raises and you have a monster pair?

    Jeff expressed to just flat call down here. I would have done this without understanding why I would actually taking this line. My thoughts would have gone something like this:
    If I raise on this texture I am saying I have a set or pocket pair like 10-qq that I didn't want to 3bet preflop. What does this raise do to his range and is that this way the best way to extract the most value. I cant see myself calling this river raise. Although villain is repping very few hands so are you I can't really justify the call. However I think you may see a loose wiring moment:)I am starting not use the thinking "villain is not capable." People are capable of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments so far. I'm not sure I like just calling down. Villain is pretty loose/bad and I think I can get more value by putting in a raise at some point. I'm pretty aggressive on the flop, so my raise here doesn't really mean I have a strong hand.

    As soon as I bet, I told myself it was a clear fold if he shoved. Villain tanked down to 1 second before shoving. I almost fell out of my chair, then I tanked.....

    ReplyDelete