Sunday, May 10, 2009

Value bet, or check/fold?

As usual I am a complete computer donk so I am sorry for the lack of a link. However just copy/paste in your browser and that should get the job done.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?4218043

So this is a really weird hand, especially because of the villain. So basically the villain is playing 23/4/.67 and I have a little history with him. Earlier in the session he flopped a set and didn't put in one raise. I had top two pair and value bet on every street and he just c/c'd on every street.

So the reason this is significant is because of the line that he takes in this hand. He just calls the flop and turn, so basically I can keep just about everything in his range, from higher sets all the way to draws. When usually on this type of board when a villain is just calling I am very comfortable putting him on a draw, but here I didn't really know what to think. I guess there really aren't that many hands that I get value from on that river, if I was good would I just check/fold? I'm interested to hear what you guys think

2 comments:

  1. when you say river plays itself, does that mean it's an easy c/f??? And if it's an obvious draw why don't you try to charge more on the turn? A half pot bet gives him 3/1 odds which isn't terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect a player that has taken this check call line to check back 100 percent of his range minus a rivered FD. Unless you feel this player is capable of double floating and will bluff a fd. I think there is 1-2 players I know that are capable of taking that line but they are not at 50nl players.

    Preflop button call range:
    22+,Axs,KT+,75+,54+,53s+

    Hands that call the flop: 44-qq,Axh,KTh,45h,56h,56os,53h

    Turn play: Based on all of these hands this is a no brainer bet. I don't mind the little over 2/3 bet sizing but based on all the hands in this players range I think you can get away with slightly more.

    Hands that call the turn: once he flat calls the turn I think you can safely rule out a set as I beileve he would rearise here. So 10's Axh,KTh,45h,56h,53h. So it looks like we are dealing with a heart draw.

    River: You are not getting value from any range of hands that you beat. I cant see pocket 10's calling here.So after reviewing everything. I would check fold this spot against a player who I believe is not capable of bluffing this river.

    ReplyDelete